Tuesday, January 4, 2011

    New Year, New Me

    Before having Harlan I was in the best shape I had ever been in my life.  I worked out everyday, ate the right things and stayed pretty healthy overall.  When I found out I was pregnant {a HUGE surprise} I didn't know how I was going to keep up with my fitness regime.

    Through the seven months of morning sickness and a full-time job, I somehow managed to make it to the gym everyday after work.  I worked out for almost two hours everyday up to the week before I had her.  People at the gym would look at me as if I was crazy for being there, but I felt great and refused to let a pregnancy be an excuse for me to overeat and gain unnecessary weight.  I told everyone at the gym that I would be back as soon as I had the baby and my doctor gave me the okay.

    I did have all intentions of going back.  I loved to work out.  It was an escape for me.  A time where I could focus on me and only me.  I did go back a couple times after having Harlan, but the unexpected move from MacKay and me being a "single" mom got in the way of my workout.

    I was very lucky that my pregnancy weight came off very quickly.  I was back in my regular jeans the week after having her.  I credit it to breastfeeding and the fact I worked my butt off during the pregnancy.  Although I lost the baby weight quickly, I used the excuse of "not having time" to workout as a way into eating the unhealthy food again and being lazy.

    I kept telling myself that once I moved I would get back into getting healthier.  That didn't happen.  The starting point of my new lifestyle kept extending.  The date was put off more and more.

    So, I've decided to go with the rest of the millions that make their New Years resolution to adapt a healthier lifestyle.  I started to go back to the gym yesterday and it felt so good to be back.  I immediately jumped back into my routine {it was a lot harder than I remembered} and it felt better than ever.  I woke up this morning sore and barely able to walk, but I still made it to the gym again.

    Eating has been a bit tougher.  My body is craving sweets and carbs and all of the unhealthy stuff I've been feeding it for the past 16 months.  I think eating better is going to be harder than working out.  I really don't like healthy food, but I'm determined to find healthy recipes that taste great and that I enjoy eating.

    I hope that later in the year I can come back to this post and realize that I have accomplished my goals.

    Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon with me?

    2 comments:

    1. You go mama! Same here with the going to the gym and working out while preggo. People thought I was crazy too, but it really made me feel great and energized. Not to mention that it helped me with my labor. Then after the baby, breastfeeding helped me get back to my pre-baby size. Yay! Making time for the gym was tough though. After several months of not going, I finally started going for a run again and man, it felt so good. I'd forgotten how energized and pumped it made me feel. Getting rid of sweets/carbs has been a bit more challenging though. I love 'em! But I try not to eat too much of it. Just one sugar cookie or bagel or... you get the point.

      Hooray for you! Working out is so great!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I LOVE working out and the gym babysitter is my salvation (and provides my with a break from Peanut). That being said, I fell of the bandwagon a bit during the holidays. But I'm trying to step things up, again, and get back into a schedule. Good for you!!

      ReplyDelete