Thursday, November 11, 2010

    Am I doing all I can?

    I love my daughter.  More than anything in the world.  When you have a child you experience something that is unexplainable.  I have an overwhelming passion and love that surrounds me everyday.  I would do anything for my little girl and I want to do everything possible to protect her.  There were a couple things brought to light yesterday that really made me think whether I was doing the best job that I could be to protect her. 

    Many of you know I am a social media junkie.  I enjoy my interactions on twitter and stay connected with old friends via facebook.  Not only are these ways for me to stay connected but they also help me stay informed.  It was brought to my attention yesterday that Amazon was selling a kindle edition of the book "The Pedophiles Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-Lover's Code of Conduct."  Repulsing isn't it? According to an interview with CNN the author wrote the book "to address what he considers unfair portrayals of pedophiles in the media. True pedophiles love children and would never hurt them,"   He even went as far as saying "Penetration is out. You can't do that with a child, but kissing and fondling I don't think is that big of a problem."  I will not give that man the pleasure of having his name on my site. He doesn't deserve any fame or notoriety.  What he said literally makes tears come to my eyes and makes me want to throw up.

    Amazon  was promoting something that is sick and illegal.  What is even worse, was that with several attempts for many people to contact Amazon, their PR team said that they had no plans to take it down.  As a mother, this sparked an outrage inside of me.  I not longer wanted to buy anything from any companies associated with Amazon.  Why would I support a company that is putting my child and every other child in danger? 

    As of recent, the book can no longer be found on Amazon's website.  I am hoping that after all of the national attention and the twitter rally against them, that they have come to their senses and make this a done deal.  Not only do they need to remove this book but they also need to come out and make a public statement.  They were made WELL aware that this book needed to be taken down, yet they took their sweet time to remove it and have yet to say a word.  That's poor PR if you ask me.  It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth and until they come out and make a statement I will not buy anything from their website.  I will get my diapers, soap, shoes, etc. elsewhere.  Sure, it's an inconvenience to me, but it was a bigger inconvenience to my daughter that this book was being sold. 

    Not all of you will agree with me on this, I don't expect you to.  I'm okay with that.  But those of you who have children, take a step back and ask yourself "Am I doing all I can to protect them?"  Your answer may surprise you.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment