Friday, December 31, 2010

    2010: Our Year for Change

    Last year I spent New Years Eve with MacKay only to have to say goodbye to him a few days later. We came into this year as a "long distance family" and end it together and closer than ever.

    This year brought many challenges that I never thought I could have overcome.  I was a working mom taking care of a newborn virtually by myself.  If you would have told me that I would have to do that 5 years ago I would have never thought it was possible, but what I learned this year is that you will make whatever sacrifices necessary to take care of your family.

    Our big move to New York City was the best thing for my relationship with Harlan and with MacKay.  I thought that Harlan and I were close from living by ourselves for nine months, but now being able to stay at home with her has strengthened our relationship more than I could have ever imagined.  I have learned her many quirks and the ways that she can smile at me to get whatever she wants.

    She has grown so much over the past year and has gone from my baby to my little girl boasting with personality.  She is talkative and loves to climb and jump on everything {we call her our little monkey.} She learned to walk this year, talk this year, and also learned the big obstacle of sleeping through the night {one of my favorite milestones ;)}

    Her relationship with MacKay has flourished before my eyes.  She went from only wanting me to comfort her to wanting to see her daddy first thing in the morning.  She has become such a daddy's girl and has him wrapped around her little finger.  I cannot wait to watch their relationship grow even stronger next year.

    It took a while for MacKay and I to get back into the groove of living together again when we moved to the city, especially in an apartment that was the third of the size of our house in Tampa.  But living in such small quarters has allowed our relationship to explore many roads that we would have never ventured living in Tampa.  I love him more than I could have ever imagined and am so proud of the husband and father he has become.

    I am a stronger woman and mom today because of the many challenges I faced over the year.  From flying with a baby on a plane by myself to having to navigate the subway and streets of New York City on my own.  I look back this year with a sense of pride and accomplishment.  I am proud of my family and who we have become in the past year.

    Even through all of the changes that 2010 brought us we come out of it with a better sense of what family really is.

    I look forward to 2011 and all of the surprises and challenges it has in store for us.

    Happy New Year.

    2 comments:

    1. Great Post!! I too have gone through many of the same things this year- living apart from hubby with two kids, moving to NYC, becoming a stay at home mom, you are soo right that it only makes relationships stronger!! I am soo glad that things are going well for you. I am wishing your family a wonderful New Year. All the best in 2011! xoxo, Sandra

      ReplyDelete
    2. You did GREAT!!! 2010 just showed you how strong you really are and that beautiful little girl will grow up knowing that, you should be proud. It was great getting to know you through this blog if only for a few months, glad I found it! Happy New Year to you and your family and all the blessings to come.

      ReplyDelete