Tuesday, December 21, 2010

    Finding My Reason for the Season

    As the holidays started to approach I was so nervous that I wouldn't get into the Christmas spirit because I didn't have my big house to decorate or all of the Christmas ornaments that adorned our artificial tree in Tampa.  Part of what I loved most about the holidays was decorating making my house inside and out making sure it was with the holiday spirit. 

    My "fake" sense of Christmas is all so apparent to me now.  Now that we live in this cramped apartment with less than half of the stuff we had back in Tampa, I am feeling the Christmas spirit more than ever.  Christmas isn't just about hanging decorations or making my house smell like  cinnamon or a Christmas tree. It's about all of the wonderful things that are happening around me that I've never come to realize.

    These past two weekends we have spent time touring all of the wonderful things the city has to offer around the holidays. 

    MacKay's office had a holiday party on Friday and it did not disappoint.  Mickey, Minnie, Spiderman, Mary Poppins, and The Grinch were just a few characters to make an appearance at this wonderful gathering.  Although Harlan seemed to like them from afar and would wave at them with a smile on her face, when we took her up to them she quickly turned into a very scared little lady. Santa also made an appearance and she was quite scared of him as well.  It was so funny to see her reaction this year as opposed to last year.  She really doesn't like St. Nicholas man this year.  She did love the little characters that were displayed in the front of the room {probably because they were her size} She spent a good 15 minutes pointing at the and talking to them,




    The next morning we decided to pay another visit to Santa, but this time at Macy's Herald Square.  We made the trip last year and absolutely loved it.  They have a wonderful set up there and it you go early enough there is no wait.




    Even if you do have to wait, the set up before Santa is amazing.  They have toys and lights and Christmas trees galore. 



     It's amazing how much can happen to our sweet little girl in just a year.  Last year she was admiring all of the Christmas lights with a cute little smile.  This year she still has the cute smile, but now wants to talk to all of the lights and teddy bears she saw in line.
    
    2010
    
    2009

    
    2010
    
    2009
     We also made a trip to see the puppet show in Macy's.  Harlan  has a fascination with puppets and I knew she would be amazed with this show.  The show had real marionettes that told us the story of Miracle on 34th Street.  Harlan was in awe the entire time pointing at everything ,saying "woah" and even getting up to dance during the musical numbers. 



    MacKay and I went back to Bryant Park after Macy's just to enjoy the shops while Harlan took a nap. We strolled along looking at local artists showing off their work and local foodies cooking up their food.  It felt so amazing to be out admiring everything and everyone. As much as I can find tourists annoying this time of year, it is so great to see so many people gather together in this city to celebrate this joyous time of year. 


    We got home and MacKay had to go out and do some more Christmas shopping so Harlan and I had some time to ourselves.  We turned on Christmas music and danced around the living room.  Dancing is one of her favorite things to do and I love to watch her spin around.

    As I sat watching her dance around the Christmas tree and saw the grin on her face, I quickly realized that this is all I need. Although the only decorations we have right now are our tree and stockings I looked at Harlan with her sweet smile and felt complete. This is what the holidays are all about.  The amazing warmth and butterflies that I get inside when I see her full of joy.  No amount of decorations can replace that.


    
    Had to include this one. The look on her face from Hudson laying on her shoe is priceless.
    




    1 comment:

    1. Yay! I'm so happy you've found your reason to rejoice this season. As long as your family is healthy and happy, that's all that matters. Your daughter is so precious! Last year my son (he was 2 years old) was terrified of all things Santa and the life-sized characters. This year, he is much more open to it. But it still comes and goes.

      Glad you are enjoying all of the things the city offers this time of year.

      Cheers!

      ReplyDelete