Thursday, October 14, 2010

    Did she really just say that?!

    Here in NYC there are a TON of kids classes offered all around the city.  Many offer trial classes before you have to commit to a full semester, so that you can see if you like the structure of the class and also to see if your child likes the class as well.  I am always up for trying new classes, not only for Harlan, but they are also great ways to meet other moms.

    Harlan and I decided to try out a music class this morning.  I had heard some mixed reviews about this class from other moms around the city, but I figured I would just try it out for myself and see what I thought.  The only class that they have is offered in the morning.  I am not a fan of morning classes because Harlan and I usually spend that time together lounging in our pajamas and cuddling.  This morning we went out of our routine and strolled up 20 blocks to the class. 

    When we got there, I noticed that the class consisted of a lot of older kids, but I didn't think that was a problem (I was sending emails back and forth with the instructor and she knew how old Harlan was and didn't mention it being a problem.)  It took Harlan a while to warm up to everyone around her, but after a while she was walking around and playing with the big kids.  I realize that sometimes bigger kids don't realize how delicate little one year old can be.  I'm not the type of mom to be overly cautious of Harlan being around them.  She was having fun and if one of them accidentally knocked her over, it's not a big deal.

    Towards the middle of the class Harlan started to play a game where she would just lay flat on the ground.  I got on the floor with her and got her up each time she did that because I didn't want any of the other kids to accidentally step on her face.  I remained on the ground close to her for the rest of the class.  Towards the end of the class Harlan started to run around chasing bubbles (as any one year old would do) and the instructor comes up to me and says "She is making me really nervous, can't you just hold her?"  My first reaction to her wanted to be something I probably shouldn't say in front of kids.  But I just took Harlan (who wasn't happy that she was being held) and took her to the back of the room to gather our stuff. 

    First, this is a KIDS class.  If little kids "make you nervous" then don't offer this class to kids her age.  Second, who are you to question me as a mother and the safety of my daughter.  I was on the floor with her an arms reach away.  She wasn't destroying your stuff.  She wasn't in any danger.  I was just letting her be a kid.  I am just amazed that someone who runs a kids class for a business would say that to a mom.  The statement offended me big time and left a horrible taste in my mouth about that class.  Needless to say, we WON'T being going back to that class and I will not recommend it to any of my other mom friends. 

    This is one of MANY classes in the city.   We have tried out a lot of classes and have never had a bad experience at any of them but this one.  I guess we will just stick to the classes that we are going to and listen to the recommendations of other moms on what to take.  I am still open to many more trial classes, but will probably do a little more research before I take her to them.

    Sorry about the ranting, this blog is therapy for me today.  I had to tell someone this story to see if it is only me that has had this type of experience!

    2 comments:

    1. I do not like that! Google the place & give them negative feedback on their reviews!

      ReplyDelete
    2. If the instructor was nervous by Harlan doing that, maybe she shouldn't be teaching a class full of kids.

      ReplyDelete